Thursday, January 7, 2016

Aha Moment of Thanks

As I was reading Reading Nonfiction by the ever-wise and deeply talented Kylene Beers and Robert Probst tonight, I had an Aha Moment.  Sitting there on my couch, with a blanket and mug of tea, I realized why their words just seemed so obvious (in a good way) and made complete and total sense to me as a teacher.  It is because I was lucky enough to have had teachers who taught as if they had read Reading Nonfiction 20 years ago. 
These incredible teachers instilled in me the still firmly held belief that it was my job to question, challenge, investigate and think about what I was learning. Passive learning was not an option in or outside their classrooms; you needed wade deep into it and go exploring.
The passion they possessed for their discipline was contagious. So much so that when you listened to them speak, you couldn't help but become enveloped in the moment and want to learn all you could.
They didn't teach to a test, but taught me to test them as teachers in the best way possible.
I felt encouraged and loved, and as a result trusted my teachers.
And though I never took a PARC or an MSA in order to show I had learned something during my 12 years of schooling, I was able to go to college, did well, even went back and got my masters, and now teach students of my own. Go figure!
Through the tutelage of these outstanding educators, I even got the crazy notion into my head that I could do and be anything and had the ability to change the world, if I chose to do so. I never felt limited by my education or my educators, I felt empowered.
So to Beth Ruekberg, BJ McEldery, Butch Darrell, Carol Peabody, Emily Dixon, Sue Sternheimer, Mr. Ogdon, Sue Bell, Nori Sheck, Steve McManus, and the rest of the amazing teachers I had during my 12 years at Garrison Forest School, thank you for showing me how to be the teacher I strive to be every day and the teacher my students deserve. Thank you from the bottom of my heart.
Much love,
Natalie (Waters) Krayenvenger Class of 2001

No comments:

Post a Comment